Sunday, March 10, 2013

Skyrim Review

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is the fifth installment in the popular Elder Scrolls series. The Elder Scrolls game type is ARPG (Action Role-Playing Game.

One of the best things about these series is the open world aspect. You want to go here? Go ahead! Now you want to go all the way over there? No problem. You are not limited by anything except for how big the game's world is.

The game takes place on the continent of Tamriel in the providence of Skyrim. I can't go much into the story (I've only just started playing the game) you are (??? - You can choose between various races that all come from various places) who is slated to be executed by the Imperials when all of a sudden a Dragon attacks. As chaos ensues all around, you escape (you have a choice as to who you escape with between two people) and soon you will be on your own while trying to avoid dangerous and powerful foes.

While yes there probably is a real story (Like I said I have only begun) since Skyrim is a true Open world Action RPG that means that even though there is a "fixed" story, you can still do whatever you want. You want to only use your time to attack civilians, go right ahead, you want to kill bunnies have at it (There is a stat for how many bunnies you ahve slaughtered) you want to kill a chicken?????

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can kill other things, just don't kill those chickens!

Graphics in this game are simply amazing, from character models to the foliage, to dungeons, caves, towns, etc. There are very few RPG's that can compete with Skyrim in terms of graphics. Sounds and more importantly music in this game is also one of the greatest you will ever find. I actually find myslef attracted to the sound that plays while you choose to srat a game, continue, load, etc.

The sound effects of your weapons being both sheathed and unsheathed, your bows firing, swords hitting enemies, rocks, etc. are also one of the best I have ever experienced. Don't even get me started on how much I love the sound of my fire spell blasting away at things, <3


Now onto problems with this game. First thing is I'm playing with a PS3 and this is what I've noticed.

Random game freeze, within the first 30 minutes of the game, it just froze. Now you might say that might not be a problem, remember that this game has come from Bethesda, who are infamous with their games freezing, glitching,. lagging, bugging out on the PS3.

Also interestingly enough, I have noticed what appears to be a frame rate issue with this game. Some of you may wonder how do I know this since you can't get a true frame rate with anything other than a PC? Simple, I've played way too many games to know when a game is lagging and it's mostly because of the graphics in that area causing a drop in frame rate. I would think that they could do a better job with this but then there's another problem.

Bethesda sucks for PS3 users, quite simply they don't know what a PS3 is. This is both a joke and true at the same time. Bethesda has said that they've never touched a PS3 as far as making a game is concerned. They used an outsourcing company to port the game over to the PS3. Which is why Skyrim DLC was never released on the PS3 until last month when the first three arrived.

The outsourcing company couldn't port it over for the PS3 so they had to completely re-make the DLC for it to work on the system.

Oh boy and they will probably do stuff with the PS4?

GAMING PC FOR THESE GAMES NAOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gameplay mechanics are pretty solid though, I would love a wheel similar to Dishonored's system. I only hope that the next game will have this wheel, this wheel is really nice. I would also love to see (stealing something from Call of Duty here) custom class setups, but have it limited to weapons and magic, and shouts only. Like oh I'm going to go against this type of enemy, let me select this setup. it's a bit annoying to use the regular menu and even the favorites menu can be a bit of a bother. However they are on the right track.

I would also like to see the carry weight restrictions to be able to grow higher than they can. Sometimes this can be annoying when your in certain places like a city and if you drop weapons, guards will give you a warning at first. I'm not sure when the second or more times will cause but I'd rather not find out.

In the end, this is a great open world ARPG with lot's of stuff to do, like killing wolves, giants, spiders, giant spiders, etc. This might not be the game for everyone so before you play this, please check out the other games in the series like ES IV Oblivion (Which is $19.99 brand new GotY edition at gamestop, well it was when I bought it 3 months ago)

I give this a 9.2 out of 10

I feel that the constant frame drops and somewhat annoying equipment menu to be a hindrance, however if it causes less of a problem for me I might have to re-write this review to reflect on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment