Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Update + Retro Tuesday Surprise

So I haven't posted anything since last week, I had to have a tooth removed on Wednesday, but it was so badly infected that after 5 shots of Novocaine I was still feeling the needles, so I had to take a course of antibiotics.

I just had the tooth removed yesterday so all is good.

Okay, info from Midwest Gaming Classic. It was a blast, I bought a bunch of stuff, (lol, big surprise there) and I played a lot of great games and saw some amazing systems.

The following is the surprise, It's a console that plays a lot of great classic games


I was there for Hyperkin's newest creation the RetroN 5. Hyperkin is known for building great systems to play your favorite classic games. The RetroN 3 which plays NES, SNES, and Genesis.

They were going to announce the RetroN 4 but they changed it, the skipped the 4 and went right into the 5 and HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The RetroN 5 plays:

NES
SNES
GENESIS
GB
GBC
GBC

Wait, that's not all. The RetroN 5 also plays:

Famicom
Super Famicom

and finally

Mega Drive.


 It also looks like no NTSC nor PAL games will lockout at all. You don't have to worry about CIC lockout chips or FX chips.

The system will have and utilize wireless controllers (their own)

However if you want to be more "Classic" then just use the side ports of the system, the include the following:

NES
SNES
Genesis

The wireless controller (Pictured Below) shows off the features that it will have:


Home Button for syncing controller(s) to system, manus, etc.

marco buttons for customing, 6 button config in the style of the genesis, LED Buttons alert you of what player you are.

The RetroN 5 will utilize a save state feature that lots of emulators have, but not systems like this.

also the RetroN 5 will use shaders to emulate the picture in 720P for use with HD tv's

Pictured below shows RetroN 5 and SNES 300% Zoom




 Sound quality has also been seriously improved, most systems (in order to save memory) will use sound of inferior quality to try to emulate it as best as they could, which is often horrible.

Not so with the RetroN 5, here's a sample of their new system's sound emulation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fnXjK0xLkTM#!

it's embedded and unlisted so you have to use that link.

You can also reassign buttons, as shown below in the new GUI of the RetroN 5:



You can also speed up or slow down your games, this next part is taken from their website:

"The RetroN 5 will allow for manual and passive overclocking, giving the users the ability to speed up or slow down their games as they see fit. This option will be available on our GUI, and users will have the ability to access this at any time during gameplay by utilizing the “Home” button on the controller. You will also be able to utilize this function by programming the Macro buttons on the wireless controller as well."

In the end, this looks like it could be the absolute best thing that any Retro Gamer (like myself) could hope for.

It has the ability to not only play NES, SNES and Genesis, but also Famicom, Super Famicom, Mega Drive, GB/GBC and GBA games. It also has the best sound quality out of them all, it also has support for four wireless controllers and even has the ports for the classic NES, SNES, and Genesis controllers.

The system I use now is the RetroDuo, which is awesome, but I want something more. I want something with more features, more controller ports, and will let me play every game without worrying about Lockout Chips.

The RetroN 5 looks like this could be the best thing that there ever was and I for sure am getting one.

When more information comes out I will definitely remark about it on future posts!

I can't give this a score just yet since I don't have it.

make no mistake about it though, I will buy this and I will also be buying gmames that had lockout chips that plagued other like the RetroDuo and I will give this a test.

Hopefully it lives up to what they claim! If they do, then I will damn sure tell everyone to get one!








No comments:

Post a Comment